When I came to the AFAA house the first night, Jack Matthew's father, John, was there waiting on the porch. He had come to Monrovia for the Visa interview (he actually had to wait there for several days and then was sent back to Monrovia, only to have to return the next day.) I had already received photos of him from AFAA, so I recognized him immediately. John was a former teacher but lack of work has him working as a farmer to support his families daily needs. My heart broke for him and seeing him was overwhelming. I gave him a big hug and thanked him for the gift of his son. The next day when I returned, he was still there. He had also brought his other three children thinking that I could adopt them all. It was heartwrenching to know that Jack Matthew's siblings were there, but that we could not adopt them. I am in no way in favor of separating siblings, but the orphanage director, Jackson, assured me that Jack Matthew had been in the orphanage since infancy and had no relationship with his biological family. Jackson told me that it would be better for me to adopt him because otherwise he would remain in the orphanage and still would not have a relationship with them. This seem to be true because Jack Matthew could not tell me the names of his siblings nor tell me who they were to him. And he called his father his "uncle." I explained to him that when his other children were adopted in the US, I would make certain that I kept in contact with the family. I gave him a gift of a pocket watch with Jack Matthew's photo inside along with a photo album with pictures of all of his children, including JM, together with him. Later, he wrote me the most beautiful letter to thank me. It reads:
Brother Patrick and Sister Heather,
I wish to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation for the gift you offer me and also for accepting to allow my son, Matthew, to be among your family.
When I received your letter, it took me witha great joy that I have another family in the USA. In that I will always remember you as my best American friend, and this is what you have done for me will be told to all the Yanty family. This is the just the beginning of interfamily relationship between your family and mine.
Please extend my greetings to all of your family.
Thanks,
John
His father was very respectful and never asked for money, which we had expected. He was in Rainbow Town when we were there and brought his older sons (whom he had not placed for adoption) to meet us. When we received the word that we needed to return to Monrovia for the Visa interview, Jackson brought him in. We traveled to the bush to pick up Princess's auntie, as well. They waited overnight in Monrovia and came to the interview the next day. Afterwards, I expected that they would be transported by the agency home (which was 4 hours away.) I was told that, no, the agency doesn't help them with that and that they would need to find their own way home. I was shocked as I assumed this is what part of our fees went towards! We couldn't imagine that they had traveled all this way to sign over their children to not even receive cab fare home! So, we paid their cab fare and hugged good-bye. Jack Matthew's father was very quiet and Princess's aunt said only, "My name is Louise. Please remember my name." We always will...
The above photos are of Jack Matthew and his father and his three siblings who are still looking for an adoptive home.
1 comment:
This brought tears to my eyes. I think everyday of A&E's other siblings. It is such a harsh reality. I loved the note he wrote you. We felt the same way about A&E's father. It makes you have faith in the Liberian people. Hopefully things will change so families can grow up together.
Post a Comment