Sunday, August 26, 2007

Medical Updates...

This has been an exhausting week of doctor's and dentist's appointments and new school orientations! I go back to work TOMORROW (Monday) and the kids' first day is Tuesday. Jack Matthew starts preschool later in the week. Princess will start in the first grade, Ryan in fourth, Chase in fifth...and lucky Jordan has ME this year as his FRESHMAN English teacher!!!! Whooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo...there is a GOD! :)

So, Princess and Matthew had EXCELLENT dentist reports. Only one cavity between the two of them, which is AMAZING, and what we thought were cavities is just stains from their diet before...it will go away eventually. They were all great- the whole family went so we closed down the dentist's office for a while! LOL! Everyone kept commenting on how amazed they were that the kids were so great...and they really were! (Once again, there is a God!)

The medical testing was a little more daunting...we went to a fantastic specialist at Akron Children's Hospital called Oak Adoptive and they specialize in children from overseas adoptions. They were great and the only problem was the bloodwork- neither child was too happy, but especially Princess who had to be "stuck" twice because they couldn't get enough blood. That didn't work so we had to take her to our local pediatrician to do it again...that didn't work, so we had to come back the next day!!!! (Okay, I gave in and bought her a Barbie because of all she went through!) She was a trooper, though, and amazingly good for the agony of it and for all she's already been through! Matthew stood behind me and rubbed my butt while I held her during the procedure! The nurses laughed like crazy and kept saying, "Wax on, wax off..."!!!!!!!!!!!! Princess spleen is also still enlarged so some of the testing will determine the cause of that. They are also testing both children to see what, if any, immunizations they've had before coming to the US.

Matthew's news was a little more serious...he has one leg shorter than the other, which explains his crazy run, but it's not noticeable when he walks. He will be going in for x-rays this week, so please pray for our little fella....

I'll be posting Rainbow Town pics this week, so I'll update you all as soon as I can!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Heather,

I too had a tough week with the doctor's and blood tests but Akins Junior seems to have recovered well. I think it was scary more than painful and he too had to be stuck more than once. It was the most upset I have seen him thus far.

I hope what you find with Mattew's leg is not serious from some of the photos you shown I do not see that it has slowed him down at all.

The enlarged spleen Akins also has and I was told it was from previously having Malaria. He does not have Malaria now so that is good we are waiting for the 2nd test which will confirm if he has had Malaria the likely cause of the spleen. Let's hope that is all it is! Thoughts are with you.

~rAqUeL~ said...

hey mrs p...
i will def. pray for both princess and matthew... and for you and yer family... so will u b at school on tuesday??? it would be REALLY nice to see ya then..=) i miss you like crazy!!! well cya soon!!! Love&&Hugs,
~Rachel~

The Szareks said...

I rarely post on the adoptingliberia yahoo site but I like to read everyone's stories and I found the link to your site there.

Both of my girls are from Liberia, my older daughter will be 6 in December and has been home for over 4 years. She also came home with an enlarged spleen. We had an ultrasound done on it but there was nothing wrong except for the enlargement that even I could feel.

Anyways, it went back to normal size all by itself over time and she never showed any other symptoms. I had never heard of anyone else's children coming home with an enlarged spleen.

Neither of my daughters had malaria but my older daughter had been exposed to TB and both of my girls came home with double ear infections.

Glad to see your transition is going well.

Nanita

Katie Moore said...

My name is Katie Moore and I am doing a senior exit project on international adoption vs. domestic adoption. I was wondering if you would be willing to allow me to include your amazing story in with my project. I need some questions answered about your process and some pictures for emphasis. I found your blog through Angel Rutledge's blog. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Katie